1. LACE – I used 3 meters (3.28yds) of elasticated lace (actually, bra strap material from the haberdasher’s 🙂 The thicker your material, the less you’ll need of it. I could easily have threaded twice as much lace onto the tree for a fuller look, but, um, I’d only bought the 3 meters 🙂 Check out these alternative options:
- strips of burlap (or any other very loosely woven fabric),
- beads (make sure they’re not too heavy for the wire),
- strips of colored tulle or cheesecloth (check that the holes are large enough so the wire goes through), or
- plastic tubing (I mean, worth a try!)
2. PLIERS & WIRECUTTER
3. Pliable but sturdy WIRE – I used about 1.5 yards of heavy-duty gardening wire (about 2mm/0.08in diameter). In my first attempt, I tried to make the tree spiral from a wire coathanger. Epic fail! The metal was way too stiff and unwieldy.