I’ve had an old, torn, quilt on my bed for quite some time and have wanted a new duvet cover for years! I just never got down to making one. I knew exactly what I wanted in my head so that’s why I never purchased one.
I dove into the new HGTV Home Fabric I used for the JoAnn Fabric & Craft Store competition and I was ready to create a duvet cover!
I made this duvet in one evening. No joke, that’s how simple it is to create! Just like I said in my curtain tutorial, “if you can sew a straight line, you can make this!”
Let’s get started…
My bed is a queen size and I have a pillow-top mattress so I wanted to make sure I had enough fabric to work with.
*TIP* You can definitely adjust your size for twin, full, and king by google-ing “duvet dimensions”, I would just add a couple of inches to each side of the duvet so you have sewing room!
I cut my fabric pieces as follows…
For those interested, the fabrics I used (all available at JoAnn)…
HGTV HOME Chevron Chic in the color Quartz
HGTV HOME On The Web in the color Glacier
HGTV HOME Orbit in the color Quartz
Pre-ruffled Trim: HGTV HOME 1” Pleat Twill in color Grain
1. Place the middle and one side with right sides together. Pin to secure.
2. Sew 1/2” inseam and iron seams open.
3. This is what it should look like when your finished. Repeat #1 for the other side.
4. Add some fun trim over the seam. You can also leave off the trim, whichever you prefer!
5. I pinned the pre-ruffled trim along both seams of the duvet cover.
6. I attached the trim by sewing directly down the center. So easy right?!
Next, you will attach the back of the duvet cover to the front of the duvet by placing right sides together and sewing on all sides except the top!
The last step is adding the closure to the top. There are so many ways you can do this! You can add buttons, zipper, snaps, etc.
Stuff with a comforter and you are finished!!
Enjoy your new duvet cover!
Want to learn how to make the pillows? Here are a couple of tutorials you might be interested in…